I’m excited to share this guest post from Jecca Blac – a gender free, vegan makeup brand that celebrates all makeup wearers.
In this article, the Jecca Blac team will share their top tips for feminizing facial features with contouring.
I hope you enjoy these tips – and that they help you feel confident, feminine, and beautiful!
Contouring Makeup Basics
On faces with features deemed traditionally masculine vs traditionally feminine, light and shadows are cast on the face in different ways.
Through applying a highlight and a contour, you can manipulate the appearance of shadows and light on the face, thus transforming your features.
The key to contouring your face is to work with two shades of contour makeup:
- A lighter shade for highlighting (i.e. bringing things forward)
- A darker shade for contouring (i.e. setting back/adding shadow to)
Step 1: Complete Your Base Makeup
Before applying contour makeup, follow these steps to complete your base makeup:
- Apply a primer – Primer, such as our Blur & Matte Primer, blurs and smooths any uneven skin texture, including pores, fine lines and beard shadow.
- Apply concealer – Apply a concealer for any beard coverage. We recommend Correct & Conceal Palette – a two step concealer solution for beard shadow.
- Apply foundation – If you prefer a full coverage look, the last step is to apply foundation.
Once these steps of your base makeup are complete, it is time to move onto the fun part – contouring!
Step 2: Select Your Contouring Palette
Next, you’ll need a contouring palette that contains:
- A highlighter shade 1-2 shades lighter than your complexion
- A contour shade 1-2 shades darker than your complexion
While it can be overwhelming at the start to know where to begin, we have made contouring simple with our Sculpt & Soften Palette.
It comes with a 34 page guide packed with diagrams and advice to help you build a contouring regime tailored specifically to your desired look/areas you’d like to transform.
The Sculpt & Soften Palette, includes two shades: ‘Soften’ for highlighting, and shade ‘Sculpt’ for contouring, with palettes for light, medium, and dark skin tones.
Step 3: Apply Your Contouring Makeup
In order to achieve a natural looking contour, we recommend first standing in front of a mirror with natural daylight. Pay attention to where the shadows fall naturally on your face.
We believe personal preference is best to follow when it comes to any areas you’d like to exaggerate or soften, so think about what you’re looking to gain from this.
How to enhance your cheekbones
- If you’re looking to enhance your cheekbones, contour just under the cheekbone – from the tragus to the side of the lips.
- Start with a little bit of the darker contouring shade and map out the area you’d like to deepen.
- Once this is symmetrical on both sides, you can blend it out using a beauty sponge – but be sure not to spread the contour too far outside of the line you have created.
- Start with a small amount of product and build up.
- Once this line is blended out, you can add a little bit of the lighter highlight shade above and below the line.
- Again, you can blend this out using a beauty sponge.
How to feminize the forehead
- Other areas people wishing to feminize with makeup often target are the brow bone and the forehead.
- To shorten the forehead, you can apply some ‘of the darker contour shade where the brow bone protrudes on many faces. This will help push it back and will help draw attention to other areas of the face.
How to contour the rest of your face
- This method of mapping out your contouring using the darker shade first and following with the highlighter shade can be applied to any other area on the face.
- Be sure to only start with a little product at a time, and give yourself time to practice at home.
Now that you know the basics, check out these contouring makeup tutorials!
Makeup Tutorial by Trasgender Makeup Artist, Sharmila:
Daily Makeup with Casey Blake – Using Trans Inclusive Makeup Brand Jecca Blac:
Enjoy the makeup journey!
Building a routine that’s right for you can take time, so be patient with yourself and remember practice makes perfect!
Above all, enjoy the journey of getting to where you’d like to be with your makeup regime and trust in the learning process!
About Jecca Blac
At Jecca Blac, we consider ourselves experts when it comes to male to female makeup transformations.
For more information on Jecca Blac, visit https://jeccablac.com
Save 15% off all Jecca Blac products with coupon code: FEMSECRETS15
For FREE MAKEUP ADVICE, click here and receive expertise from our team of makeup professionals.
From Lucille: I hope you found this article from Jecca Blac helpful!
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Do you use contouring makeup? Have you found it to be challenging? Do you have any other contouring tips or tricks to share?
Please share in the comments below – and be sure to include a pic of your favorite makeup look!
P.S. If you liked this article, you will love my FREE Male to Female Makeup Mini Course.
Hello girls. I have a facial features that need a little work of contouring: my cheekbones and chin are very masculines, but with a little application of dark concealer in those areas, light concealer under my eyes and blush on the contour of my face, the results are very enjoyables.
Don’t forget that contouring can also enhance the look of the breasts and cleavage.
I’m lucky, and don’t really need much facial feminization, although it could be an improvement. So mostly I just experimented a little. Couldn’t do much without overdoing it. One tip I enjoyed was to put a tiny smear of lighter color at a few places on lips to make them more 3D and glisteny-looking. Results were fun!
Another thing: I have a tiny depression above the outer edge of an eyebrow. The slight shadow can make it look like there is some extra eyebrow heading that way. When needed, a strategic touch of lighter shade helps diminish it.
Contouring helps disguise a tendency toward double chin.
I hope you enjoy my photographs , do you ?
I tried to follow the top tips for feminizing my facial features with contouring , and they help me feel confident, feminine, and beautiful !