I’m excited to share this guest post by the team at Jecca Blac – a gender free makeup brand that celebrates all makeup wearers.
In a perfect world, you’d be free to express your female self whenever and wherever you wanted. But if you’re like many of my transgender and crossdressing readers, you might not have this option right now.
The good news is that MAKEUP can help you stay connected to your femininity – anytime!
Jecca Blac will show you how to apply makeup that’s not noticeable to those around you. But at the same time, these “no-makeup” makeup tips will make you look and feel fantastic. (Yes, even if you have to present as male.)
I hope you enjoy these tips – and that they help you stay true to yourself every day!
1. Treat yourself to skincare
Skincare is an important step in taking care of yourself – and the best part is that you can take as much time as you need to pamper yourself, without any visible pigments on the skin!
Moisturizing is an essential step for daily skincare. Jecca Blac’s Hydrate Primer is packed with fatty acids and ceramides, meaning it’ll replenish and maintain your skin’s moisture levels throughout the day. It is hydrating enough to replace your daily moisturizer and leaves a smooth, moisturized finish on the skin.
If you have oily skin, you might desire a mattified surface with blurred skin texture, pores, fine lines and beard shadow. For this, nothing beats a primer! After you have completed your skincare, we recommend applying a primer such as our Blur & Matte Primer.
Primers are completely transparent, but have a smoothing, blurring effect on the skin. They can prime skin for full coverage makeup (including beard shadow coverage) – or be worn alone for a smooth, airbrushed feel!
2. Apply powder
While a primer will help keep shine under control, you can enhance the effect with a bit of translucent setting powder. As an added bonus, applying powder also allows you to enjoy the motion of using a makeup brush on your face.
Take a small amount of translucent setting powder on a powder brush and apply it to any areas you feel need extra shine control. This step is great for taking extra care of any oily areas that become shiny throughout the day – particularly the nose, eyelids and T-Zone.
3. Try a subtle wash of color
If you’re in the mood for subtle color, or just beginning to test the waters of leaving the house in makeup that’s not too obvious, we recommend experimenting with soft, sheer pigments with cream consistencies.
These are subtle enough that they won’t be too bold on the skin, but still softly enhance your cheeks or lips.
Jecca Blac’s Play Pots are versatile cream pigments that can be used on the eyes, lips and cheeks. As cream pigments, they are super easy to blend and 100% beginner friendly. Here are a few ways to use Play Pots:
- After applying a lip balm to keep your lips healthy and hydrated, tap some of our Red Touch Play Pot onto the lips, starting in the middle of the lip and blending out. With a sheer, buildable finish, you’ll find it easier to get to a level you’re comfortable with for brightening the face with a little color, while keeping it low-key.
- Our Play Pots can also be applied to the eyelids as a cream eye shadow, or to the cheeks as a cream blush – so add a little Red Touch to your cheeks for a subtle glow that’ll bring a fresh, springtime feel to your face without being overly visible on the skin.
- Juno Dawson wears shades Red Touch, Gold Touch and Pink Pearl in the image above. We love the way these shades were mixed and matched for a subtle, daytime feel!
4. Pamper your nails
There are many ways to enhance and pamper your nails, which don’t involve any colorful polishes or nail extensions:
- Switch to a nail file. A simple way to start loving your nails without drawing attention to them is to switch from trimming/clipping fingernails and use a nail file instead. This will give you better control over your nail shape, and whether you wear your nails short or long, will give you freedom to get creative with square/oval nail shapes that give a smarter, refined finish to the nail.
- Achieve a smooth shape. Experiment and find a shape that works best for you, moving the file in one direction over the nail. (Moving back and forth may lead to a jagged end to the nail, which we want to be as smooth as possible!)
- Apply clear polish. Take a moment to paint a clear nail polish on your nails. Some clear polishes contain properties which enhance your nail strength and add a subtle, healthy shine to the nail! You can also achieve this by using a nail buffer instead of a clear polish, but there is something peaceful about taking a moment to paint your nails – even if you’re using a paint which doesn’t contain any visible color.
We hope you’ve enjoyed our tips today! Be sure to always take care to make yourself feel your absolute best in the morning, regardless of whether you’re able to go all out with your makeup, hair and wardrobe. Grooming is a form of self care, and we hope our tips help you add touches of your personality to your look!
From Lucille: I hope you found this article from Jecca Blac helpful! Makeup is way too fun to reserve for special occasions only. As you can see, it’s something you can indulge in daily.
As always, I’d love to hear your thoughts. How often do you wear makeup? Take my poll and share your favorite full makeup or “no makeup” look in the comments below!