Makeup plays a big part in your feminine transformation. That means having a well-stocked makeup kit is a must!
Since I’m often asked about what makeup to buy – and since it’s easy to blow your budget on one Sephora shopping trip – I’ve put together a checklist outlining the must-have MTF makeup items for your collection.
I also created a downloadable shopping list that you can save to your phone and take to the store with you. Download it here!
First, a word on makeup brushes…
If you’re going to splurge on one thing, it should be a good set of makeup brushes. You’d be amazed how much better your makeup looks when you use proper brushes rather than the tiny applicators that come with your makeup.
You can find makeup brush sets at the drugstore or online for as little as $10-$20. Here are the brushes you should own:
- Angled eyebrow brush
- Eyeliner brush
- Flat eyeshadow brush
- Crease brush
- Bullet brush
- Foundation brush
- Concealer brush
- Powder brush
- Blush brush
- Lipstick brush
- Q-tips – Use to clean up under the eyes
- Cetaphil – Use to clean up mistakes and remove makeup at the end of the day
- Cosmetic wedge sponges
- Eyebrow pencil or powder – Note: You can also use matte eyeshadow as eyebrow powder
- Eyeshadow base (optional) – Use to neutralize discoloration in eye area and help your eye makeup last longer
- Eyeliner – Either a gel eyeliner or eyeliner pencil
- Eyeshadow – Get a palette with at least 3 colors: light/medium, medium/dark, and a highlight shade
- Mascara – Get black unless you are a fair blonde (in which case, go for brown-black)
- Clear mascara (optional) – Use to groom thick eyebrows
- Primer (optional) – Use to smooth out your skin and help your makeup last longer
- Color corrector
- Fair skin – Get a pink and green corrector
- Medium/dark skin – Get a yellow corrector
- Foundation – Get medium coverage foundation that matches your skin tone exactly
- Translucent powder – Get loose powder that is the same or slightly lighter than your natural skin tone
- Foundation powder (optional) – Use if you need additional coverage in the beard area
- Light/dark cream concealer (optional) – Use to contour the face. Get a concealer that is one shade lighter than your skin tone (to highlight the face) and a concealer that is one shade darker than your skin tone (to contour the face)
- Lip liner pencil
- Lip gloss – Choose a thick clear gloss to seal your lipstick
- Contouring powder – Use to contour the cheeks, jaw, etc. Get translucent powder or a no-sheen bronzer that is one shade darker than your skin tone
- Blush – Choose a powder or cream blush
While this list might look long, the good news is that you DON’T have to go out and spend a bunch of money on expensive cosmetics. In fact, you probably already have most of what you need. And what you don’t have, you can find inexpensively in any drugstore.
Let’s talk makeup!
The great thing about makeup is that no matter what your skill level, there are always new techniques to try and colors to play with. And as Coco Chanel said, on a bad day, there is always lipstick!
So let’s hear from you…
What are your favorite must-have makeup essentials? Do you do most of your shopping in drugstores or are you a Sephora-kinda gal?
Please share in the comments below!
P.S. While the right tools are essential, good makeup is all about technique. My FREE Male to Female Makeup Mini Course will show you exactly how to transform and feminize your face with makeup.
Get free instant access to the 3-part video course here!
Hi ever one
Hello lover you’re beautiful right now I’m wearing a nice something that gun right now I’m doing I love to have two good people like you you are a beautiful woman
Iove you too
Once again thank you for the great support to us girls. Great List!
Love Barbara Jane
Gorgeous look, BJW!
At 73 in October , not easy as in the past to apply my makeup, shaking is an issue. I will continue to do my best, and will quit when I can’t.
Been out in public since the 1960’s. Need to lose 20+ LBs.
ENJOY chatting about CDing….love sliding into my 100% nylon stockings and heels to go out and about.
ENJOY Being You…T.J.
I feel the same too I feel like a girl too feminine maybe you could help me and beautiful
everyone hi i would like to add my 2 cents first of all thank you lucille for the list there are many things on there that everyone should need i dont know about you but if my makeup isnt just so i wont leave the house i dont want to be seen in public looking like a man so it has to be just right and your list is very helpful and use a good makeup nothing cheep is looks bad and some times it may break out your skin ps i cant wear cover girl it breaks me out except there lip stick
Thanks so much Lucille for this wonderful checklist kit of male to female makeup essentials! I’m soon going to become a Sephora-kinda gal. I love your programs and I’ll soon be ordering your Chris Scott Makeup Magic: Ultimate Male To Female Makeup Program. With Your / Chris’s tutorial I’m sure to progress from makeup application challenged cross dresser to makeup application accomplished cross dresser! I love how you do so sincerely care for your gurls!
Sweetheart, you look fabulous!
From one “mature ” Gurl to another, it ain’t as easy for me at 73( in October) as in the past. Love to chat about CDing. Hit me up on comments.
Pics for your evaluation.
ENJOY Being You….T.J.
Love the checklist! I can pick my panties,bra,dress,heels and purse but getting my makeup right is a struggle. I guess it’s like anything else, the more often you do it..the better you get at it. Right now I feel like a 12 year old girl struggling to get it right.
“Hayley Renee”…For Me, My Matching Bras and Panties Are The Most Important Items To Me !!!
I know how you feel. I want to get my look just right and go out in public. But I still feel so uncomfortable. I don’t think my makeup looks good or my beard isn’t covered properly. But, I’m dying to dress up and walk out in to public. I want to know how it feels to be free so bad! I want to look hot and turn heads! Uggg..
I hear you girl…its fun practicing but want to turn heads for the right reason.
I hear you girl…its fun practicing but I want that head turning look for the right reason!
I like the check list for sure. But what about the dreaded beard mustache showing through?