Makeup plays a big part in your feminine transformation. That means having a well-stocked makeup kit is a must!
Since I’m often asked about what makeup to buy – and since it’s easy to blow your budget on one Sephora shopping trip – I’ve put together a checklist outlining the must-have MTF makeup items for your collection.
I also created a downloadable shopping list that you can save to your phone and take to the store with you. Download it here!
First, a word on makeup brushes…
If you’re going to splurge on one thing, it should be a good set of makeup brushes. You’d be amazed how much better your makeup looks when you use proper brushes rather than the tiny applicators that come with your makeup.
You can find makeup brush sets at the drugstore or online for as little as $10-$20. Here are the brushes you should own:
- Angled eyebrow brush
- Eyeliner brush
- Flat eyeshadow brush
- Crease brush
- Bullet brush
- Foundation brush
- Concealer brush
- Powder brush
- Blush brush
- Lipstick brush
- Q-tips – Use to clean up under the eyes
- Cetaphil – Use to clean up mistakes and remove makeup at the end of the day
- Cosmetic wedge sponges
- Eyebrow pencil or powder – Note: You can also use matte eyeshadow as eyebrow powder
- Eyeshadow base (optional) – Use to neutralize discoloration in eye area and help your eye makeup last longer
- Eyeliner – Either a gel eyeliner or eyeliner pencil
- Eyeshadow – Get a palette with at least 3 colors: light/medium, medium/dark, and a highlight shade
- Mascara – Get black unless you are a fair blonde (in which case, go for brown-black)
- Clear mascara (optional) – Use to groom thick eyebrows
- Primer (optional) – Use to smooth out your skin and help your makeup last longer
- Color corrector
- Fair skin – Get a pink and green corrector
- Medium/dark skin – Get a yellow corrector
- Foundation – Get medium coverage foundation that matches your skin tone exactly
- Translucent powder – Get loose powder that is the same or slightly lighter than your natural skin tone
- Foundation powder (optional) – Use if you need additional coverage in the beard area
- Light/dark cream concealer (optional) – Use to contour the face. Get a concealer that is one shade lighter than your skin tone (to highlight the face) and a concealer that is one shade darker than your skin tone (to contour the face)
- Lip liner pencil
- Lip gloss – Choose a thick clear gloss to seal your lipstick
- Contouring powder – Use to contour the cheeks, jaw, etc. Get translucent powder or a no-sheen bronzer that is one shade darker than your skin tone
- Blush – Choose a powder or cream blush
While this list might look long, the good news is that you DON’T have to go out and spend a bunch of money on expensive cosmetics. In fact, you probably already have most of what you need. And what you don’t have, you can find inexpensively in any drugstore.
Let’s talk makeup!
The great thing about makeup is that no matter what your skill level, there are always new techniques to try and colors to play with. And as Coco Chanel said, on a bad day, there is always lipstick!
So let’s hear from you…
What are your favorite must-have makeup essentials? Do you do most of your shopping in drugstores or are you a Sephora-kinda gal?
Please share in the comments below!
P.S. While the right tools are essential, good makeup is all about technique. My FREE Male to Female Makeup Mini Course will show you exactly how to transform and feminize your face with makeup.
Get free instant access to the 3-part video course here!
Love the wants!!!! Listened to two wife’s and three daughters as to how they did things. All thit came out with was confusion. Finally someone who understands and loves. I have wants and I finally have directions. Thank goodness their are people like you in the world (and for gurls/girls like us/me
Angled brush was a savior!!! ;p
You look amazing!
Your best makeup is your gorgeous Smile! Love the look!
Thank you doll! MUAH!
I concur with Lucille. I also want to say for sure to get all the makeup brushes recommended. It’s sooooo much easier to do makeup with a brush kit than with the little applicators that come with the products. Also, like a good pair of speakers for the car, in getting makeup, you get what you pay for. Get the best you can budget for especially with foundation products. Facial moisturizer is a must and you have to use it every day makeup or not. It makes a difference. Yes, it’s an additional thing you have to do, but if you want to look your best, you can’t get around it. You’ll learn to accept it as part of your routine. Perhaps one other thing I’d add to the list is eye drops since most people wake up and have baby bloodshot for a usual eyecolor. It REALLY makes a huge difference especially when you bring attention to your eyes and fem facial features. Get enough rest especially if you know you’re going out and about so you don’t have the baggy bloodshot eyes. I hope I don’t sound pushy or off color by mentioning what I have. Just talking from experience here. I LOVE doing makeup and the more facial details that look good, the better you’ll look good too.
Well, I have most of the items in the list. just have a few more to get. Using makeup helps us look good, but taking care of our skin is very important as well.
Thanks for the makeup checklist, Its something I have been looking for , I really enjoy putting makeup on and wearing it, and finding the correct makeup and makeup kit has been difficult . I was wondering what your advice on eye brows is, I know people use wax and even pritstick to cover the eyebrow and put makeup on over it , and the draw fake eyebrows higher up . I have seen the videos on eyebrows. just wondering what your opinion is Lucille and everyone else.
I agree with Lucille about having and using the products she has suggested. Being a beauty consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics I also recommend the same basic things also skin care is the foundation for great looking make-up. Start with a cleanser, not soap, use a good moisturizer, morning and night before you apply your make-up for the day or evening. Try to use products made by the same company, so they work in conjunction with each other. Make-up is the fun part, skin care is the basis. Have fun!!!!
Excellent point Kelsey! Thanks for bringing that up!
Want the girls to look and feel there absolute best!!!
I love wearing makeup. I wear dark blue or brown eye shadows and brown or black eye liners. I use concealers when I can’t get and sleep.
how to find someone do make up .show me proper way.
you can go by Sephora or Ulta, or even Shape Magazine